Friday, September 30, 2011

Pat Roberson: Moral Dilemma

I find myself in a moral dilemma, half agreeing with Pat Roberson, and half disagreeing.  I just found this news post and wanted to make my comment on it, and wanted to see what my readers had to say about it.

Pat Robertson is being critisized for his position that a particular man should divorce his wife, who is suffering from the dementia caused by Alzheimer's Disease.  Pat Robertson says:

“His wife as he knows her is gone,” the caller said, and the friend is “bitter at God for allowing his wife to be in that condition, and now he’s started seeing another woman.”



and...

“This is a terribly hard thing,” Mr. Robertson said, clearly struggling to think his way through a wrenching situation. “I hate Alzheimer’s. It is one of the most awful things, because here’s the loved one — this is the woman or man that you have loved for 20, 30, 40 years, and suddenly that person is gone.”

The news article goes on to describe the anger that Robertson has aroused in the Christian community for his encouragement that the man break the sacrament of marriage by divorcing his wife.


My take goes both ways - on one hand I say I agree, as the man's wife won't know the difference anyway.  She doesn't love him and doesn't even know who he is.  The woman she once was is gone forever and will never return.


On the other hand, I believe in permanent marriage - in sticking together through thick and thin.


I'm stumped.  Anyone have any feedback on this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment